University of the Witwatersrand (Wits)

The University of the Witwatersrand (Wits), famously known as Wits University or Wits, is a multi-campus public research university situated in the northern areas of central Johannesburg in the Gauteng Province of South Africa.

The University of the Witwatersrand is the third oldest South African university in continuous operation, and it celebrated 100 years of excellence in 2022.

Wits has produced over 200,000 alumni, 50 of whom have been recognised with Presidential Awards for excellence in various life endeavours since 1994.

The University is internationally recognised for research, high academic standards, and commitment to social justice in Africa and beyond.

The University is overseen by the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) under the National Government of South Africa.

Overview

Nickname:Wits
Motto:Scientia et Labore (Latin)
Type:Public University
Established:1922
Chancellor:Dr Judy Dlamini
Vice-Chancellor:Prof Zeblon Vilakazi
Location:Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Website:www.wits.ac.za

History

The origins of Wits University lie in the South African School of Mines, which was established in Kimberley in 1896 and transferred to Johannesburg as the Transvaal Technical Institute in 1904, becoming the Transvaal University College in 1906 and renamed the South African School of Mines and Technology four years later.

Other departments were added as Johannesburg grew and in 1920 the name was changed to the University College, Johannesburg.

Full university status was granted in 1922, incorporating the College as the University of the Witwatersrand, with effect 1 March. Seven months later the inauguration of the University was duly celebrated.

Prince Arthur of Connaught, Governor-General of the Union of South Africa, became the University’s first Chancellor, and Professor Jan H. Hofmeyr its first Principal. Building began at Milner Park on a site donated to the University by the Johannesburg municipality.

In 1923, the University gradually vacated its premises in Eloff Street to move to the first completed teaching buildings at Milner Park (the Botany and Zoology block – housing the departments of Geology, Botany, Zoology and Applied Mathematics). The University had, at that stage, 6 faculties (Arts, Science, Medicine, Engineering, Law and Commerce), 37 departments, 73 members of academic staff and little more than 1,000 students. In 1925 the Prince of Wales officially opened the Central Block.

During the period between the two world wars severe financial restrictions were imposed upon the University. Nevertheless, student numbers were quite impressive – in 1939, 2,544 students enrolled; that grew to 3,100 in 1945.

The sudden increase in student enrolment after the Second World War led to accommodation problems, which were temporarily resolved by the construction of wood and galvanised-iron hutments in the centre of the campus. These huts remained in use until 1972.

The period between 1947 and the 1980s was marked by considerable growth – student numbers increased rapidly to 6,275 in 1963, 10,600 in 1975 and 16400 by 1985.

In 1951 the University awarded its 10,433rd qualification, in May 1981 its 50,000th and by 1988 its 73,411th.

The acquisition of additional property in adjacent areas became imperative. The medical library and the administrative offices of the Faculty of Medicine moved to a new building in Esselen Street, Hillbrow during 1964. The Graduate School of Business was established in Parktown in 1968.

In 1969 the Ernest Oppenheimer Residence was formally opened in Parktown. Savernake, the official residence of the Vice-Chancellor, also located in Parktown, was made available to the University in 1969. In the same year the clinical departments in the new Medical School were opened. However, the Medical School moved premises again and is now situated in York Street, Parktown – the complex was opened on 30 August 1982.

Expansion into Braamfontein also took place. In 1976 Lawson’s Corner, renamed University Corner, was acquired. Senate House, the University’s main administrative building, was occupied in 1977. The Wedge, a building formerly owned by the National Institute of Metallurgy, was taken over by the University in 1979. The Milner Park showgrounds were acquired in 1984 from the Witwatersrand Agricultural Society and renamed West Campus. Today, the campuses are some 400 hectares in extent.

In 1989, the Chamber of Mines Building for the Faculty of Engineering on the West Campus was opened, and the brick-paved AMIC deck was built across the M1 motorway to link the East and West campuses.

The University’s interests have not been confined to development and expansion at Milner Park and adjacent areas. In the 1960s the University acquired the Sterkfontein farm from the Stegmann family, with its world-famous limestone caves, rich in archaeological material.

In 1968 the neighbouring farm, Swartkrans, also a source of archaeological material, was purchased. In the same year, the University acquired excavation rights in caves of archaeological and palaeontological importance at Makapansgat in the area now known as the Limpopo Province.

Present

Today, with five faculties (Commerce, Law and Management; Engineering and the Built Environment; Health Sciences; Humanities; Science) and 33 schools, Wits offers approximately 3,400 courses to 41,000 students. Over a third of the student body comprises postgraduate students.

Library facilities consists of two central libraries and 12 branch libraries with students having access to over 1.5 million books.

Approximately 5,000 students are accommodated in a number of residences and student villages. There are 42 sport clubs and many cultural opportunities in the form of over 60 student societies, the Wits Theatre, art galleries, concert hall and 7 museums as well the Chris Seabrooke Music Hall which was opened in 2022 as part of the Centenary Celebrations.

Overseeing Department/Entity

Office Bearers/Management

Chancellor

  • Dr Judy Dlamini

Vice Chancellor

  • Prof Zeblon Vilakazi

Deputy Vice Chancellors

  • Prof Ian Jandrell (Systems and Operations)
  • Prof Lynn Morris (Research and Innovation)
  • Prof Ruksana Osman (Academic)
  • Prof Garth Stevens (People Development and Culture)

Registrar

  • Ms Carol Crosley

Senior Management

  • Prof Nithaya Chetty (Dean: Science)
  • Ass Prof Jason Cohen (Dean: Commerce, Law and Management)
  • Prof Shabir Madhi (Dean: Health Sciences)
  • Prof Thokozani Majozi (Dean: Engineering and Built Environment)
  • Mr Kendal Makgamathe (Manager: External Stakeholder Relations)
  • Dr Mucha Musemwa (Dean: Humanities)
  • Ms Shirona Patel (Head of Communications)
  • Mr Jerome September (Dean: Student Affairs)
  • Ms Tasneem Wadvalla (Chief to Staff)

Contact Details

The contact details of the University of the Witwatersrand are listed in the table below.

Physical Address:1 Jan Smuts Avenue, Braamfrontin, Johannesburg, 2000
Postal Address:Private Bag 3, WITS, 2050
Telephone:011 717 1000
Email:webmaster@wits.ac.za
Website:www.wits.ac.za