Petrusville, Northern Cape

Petrusville is a village in the eastern Karoo region of South Africa, located in the Northern Cape Province, at the intersection of the R48 Provincial Route and R369 Regional Route.

Petrusville is located approximately 10 km south of the Orange River, 45 km north-east of Philipstown, and 60 km south-east of Kraankuil.

Petrusville falls within Renosterberg Local Municipality and the Pixley ka Seme District Municipality. It is the administrative centre/seat of Renosterberg Local Municipality.

Petrusville was founded in 1877 on the farm Rhenosterfontein and named after Petrus Jacobus van der Walt who had purchased it from Adam Kok II in 1810 and donated a portion of it to the Dutch Reformed Church in 1822. It was named T’Kanee in Khoekhoe.

New evidence gathered suggests that people lived in Petrusville before 1800 and its believed that Petrusville was the old soldiers camp. The evidence is the old cemetery situated behind izinyoka Revonia area and others in the plakkerskamp. There are tombstone shows that Petrusville was there since 1803.