Once Again SA Denies 2010 World Cup Bribe Allegations

South Africa’s Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula looks on during a media briefing in Johannesburg, May 28, 2015. All 2010 Soccer World Cup funds were accounted for and audited, South Africa’s sports minister said on Thursday, and the government was yet to receive an indictment from U.S. prosecutors involving South Africans.

South Africa have again denied that a payment of $10 million to former FIFA vice president Jack Warner during their successful bid for the 2010 World Cup was a bribe.

Sports minister Fikile Mbalula on Wednesday told a news conference that neither South Africa’s government nor the 2010 World Cup bid and organising committee bought votes for the right to host the finals.

“South African government and the LOC did not pay a bribe. We call on FBI to furnish us with the indictment. We ask all to not comment on the matter,” said the minister.

“We await details from the US Authorities. We have a duty to defend the legacy of the World Cup and our countries reputation.

It follows last week’s indictment filed by U.S. prosecutors that alleges world soccer’s governing body paid the sum to the Caribbean Football Union, headed by Warner.

FIFA’s issued a statement on Tuesday saying that, in 2007, as part of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, the South African government approved a $10 million project to support the African diaspora in Caribbean countries.

However, the U.S. indictment says the money — an alleged bribe from South Africa for the World Cup — was shared by Warner and other CONCACAF members in return for their votes.

Warner is among 14 FIFA officials and corporate executives charged by the U.S. Department of Justice last Wednesday with running a criminal enterprise that involved more than $150 million in bribes.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.